Join our team!
We're looking for a Strong Towns Engineer/Program Builder.
✔ Are you a P.E. with experience in design and plan production for walkable neighborhood streets, pedestrian-focused downtowns and small site development and infill projects?
✔ Are you a committed follower of Strong Towns, CNU and the Incremental Development Alliance and passionate about designing projects that put people, environment and community finances first?
✔ Are you looking for more responsibility, client interaction and work flexibility?
✔ Does the opportunity to build and lead a design team from the ground up excite you?
✔ Would you thrive in a small, entrepreneurial organization where all team members are genuinely encouraged to give and receive honest feedback, hold each other accountable and share responsibilities for outcomes?
If your answer to those questions is some version of "heck yeah!"...
... then our team at VERDUNITY would love to visit with you about the opportunity to join our growing organization to build and lead our design practice! We believe this is a unique opportunity for the candidate who shares our passion and principles, has a solid foundation of technical experience and is hungry for the opportunity to challenge her/himself, build a team, and expand our company’s influence and impact.
Now let's get into specifics. (Click each heading below to expand.)
+ KEY RESULT AREAS & REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
Team member will be responsible for the following:
Perform and lead civil engineering design and PS&E preparation
Lead design and preparation of plans, bid documents and cost estimates for neighborhood infrastructure, downtown revitalization and site development projects Utilize AutoCAD and Civil3D to develop concepts and prepare construction plans Perform quantity takeoffs and develop construction cost estimates Assemble technical specifications and bid documents Assist small developers in putting together development agreements, proformas and entitlement packages
Project management and marketing support
Manage design projects and partner with President on contract negotiations, including development of scope and fee proposals, earned value, invoicing, client meetings, team management, and project communications. Conduct market research, engage in select online communities (Strong Towns, Small Developers, etc), and attend networking events to learn and share best practices, build relationships and identify potential partners and opportunities. Update resumes, project sheets, and other qualification materials to support pursuits. Participate in development and delivery of client presentations and workshops. Opportunity to build and lead a design team as design related services grow.
Process improvement and communication
- Personal: Complete personal mission statement, set goals and track progress using company provided journal and meetings with assigned mentor and team.
- Role:Identify and develop procedures to improve efficiency and standardize design and production tasks within the company
- Company: Participate in company meetings to assess progress, celebrate success and set goals for continuous improvement and growth for the team and our team members
- Communication: Basecamp is our team’s primary communication tool, which allows us to work remotely when we choose. Team members must be comfortable communicating daily work progress using Basecamp along with calls and video conferencing.
- Bachelor in Civil Engineering. Masters in Transportation Planning, Urban Planning/Design or similar field a plus.
- TX PE license preferred. Ability to obtain through reciprocity will be considered for strong out of state candidates. AICP, PTOE, CNU-A, and/or ENV-SP a plus.
- 6-10 years’ experience working on neighborhood infrastructure, downtown revitalization and site development projects for cities and private developer clients.
- Recent project experience utilizing NACTO and CNU-ITE manuals and design criteria for street and bike facility design and incorporating #visionzero principles is preferred
- Familiarity with navigating the code and process challenges commonly associated with infill development and designing walkable environments is preferred
- Extensive experience utilizing Civil3D and AutoCAD for civil design and plan production. Ability to work with Microstation and Geopak or similar design software occasionally is a plus.
+ COMPENSATION & ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Compensation will be a combination of salary, profit sharing and/or commission reflective of the candidate’s experience, role and mutually agreed upon goals. We believe we win and lose as a team and share accountability for our results. If you’re not prepared to earn a portion of compensation through your performance and the team’s results, then this is not the right place for you. When the team does well, we believe in sharing profits generously with all team members.
Flexible work hours and unlimited personal time off.
We want people who enjoy their work, are committed to the company’s success, and can be trusted to manage their time in a responsible manner. While we love what we do, we also encourage our team members to live balanced daily lifestyles and take time off when necessary to spend with family and attend to important needs.
We are a strengths-based organization.
Having strong self-awareness and respect for different personality types is critical in our culture. Every team member is expected to know his or her own top five strengths (using Gallop’s StrengthsFinder assessment) as well as those of other team members, and we work together to ensure everyone is working in their “strength zone” as much as possible.
Continued education and personal growth.
We consider ourselves to be thought leaders in the industry and prioritize personal and professional growth. We place a high priority on learning, teaching, and failing forward. We believe everyone on our team has unique experience, perspectives and ideas to share, and expect you to be confident sharing them with us from the day you walk in the door. We’ll work with you to create a personal development plan that ties your personal goals to the company’s, and utilize a mix of training courses, our company book club and team lunch & learn meetings to help you grow personally and professionally.
+ WHY YOU SHOULD APPLY
- We’re doing meaningful work that is transforming our industry and communities
- Learn from and share your experience with like-minded professionals
- Enjoy a work environment that allows you to work where, when and how you can be most productive
- Capitalize on a one-time opportunity to be part of building a team and growing a young company
- Participate in a legit team-first culture and share benefits of performance-based compensation and profit sharing when we meet and exceed our own expectations
- Because you're too talented and committed to making the world a better place to waste another day of your career getting bogged down in bureaucracy and outdated approaches
+ DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
At VERDUNITY, we're committed to helping communities become equitable environments where people of all backgrounds, ages, means, and identities feel like they have a place to thrive, contribute, and belong. We firmly believe that our work is only enhanced by having a diversity of voices at the table, and that being open about who we are and what we do allows us to grow stronger. VERDUNITY considers potential team members without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
+ APPLICATION PROCESS
- Submit application form and supplemental information through our website or via email @ email@example.com
- Phone interview
- Purchase and complete StrengthsFinder assessment ($20 cost)
- In-person interview (or video conference for out of state applicants)
- Optional - Contract work assignment (paid)
- Optional - Dinner/activity with team and significant others/spouses
+ OUR STORY & WHY YOU'D FIT IN.
VERDUNITY Inc. is an award-winning planning and design firm that brings storytelling, planning, engineering, finance and placemaking expertise together to help community leaders plan, build and cultivate places that are financially resilient, healthy and people-friendly. It is our emphatic belief that the way we have been building our places is not sustainable, and that America’s approach to how we build our communities and neighborhoods must change - immediately. We are committed to leading this change through the work we do and the lives we lead.
Our founder and CEO, Kevin Shepherd, has over 24 years of planning, engineering and municipal finance experience and is a pioneer and advocate for incorporating Strong Towns and placemaking principles into planning and civil engineering consulting practice. He came from a large A/E firm where the focus was on big, expensive projects, large consulting fees, and exploiting “business as usual”. He left his national director role to start a small, nimble firm able to explore new ideas, drive change through the industry and help cities implement new approaches with the money and resources they have on hand. Together, our team is helping cities get back on a path to prosperity and building places where people at all stages of life can survive and thrive.
Our Cultivating Strong Towns workshops and planning work have generated a steady stream of design projects that align with our principles and goals. We are now looking for a humble, hungry and smart team member that can jump in quickly to complete current projects while also partnering with our President to grow and lead our design practice. This position will report directly to our President/CEO and be part of the company leadership team.
This position will be based in Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas. We have a remote work culture and are set up to enable working remotely as much or as little as you prefer (with a few exceptions). Our main office is located in The Foundry Club at Mockingbird Station in Dallas. The Foundry is a coworking space with an entrepreneurial atmosphere, regular social events, and other innovative companies and solopreneurs with unique talents and experience. Mockingbird Station is located on the DART rail (red, orange and blue lines) and includes a variety of residential, entertainment and shopping options within walking distance.
Sound good? Wanna be a Verdooner? Tell us a little more about why you think you're the right one for this position, and then let's chat!
Once you've submitted those answers, please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
3+ examples of some work you’re proud of.
(And if you're having any trouble with the form submission above, you can email your responses to email@example.com.)